Friday, July 24, 2009

4th of July Hamburger & Hotdog cupcakes


We went over to a friends' BBQ for the 4th of July. I decided to bring cupcakes that went with the BBQ theme- hotdogs & hamburgers. I was happy with how they turned out, and they we really pretty easy to make.
The hamburger buns were made out of nila wafers with real sesame seeds. To adhere the sesame seeds, I rubbed the cookie onto some frozen orange juice concentrate.


The patty of the "hamburger" was a York peppermint patty. The recipe that I used for these cupcakes, called for a Keebler Grasshopper cookie. Of course, at the store that I was buying supplies from, I couldn't find the Grasshoppers. So, I substituted with peppermint patty. I ended up slicing the patty in half so that it wasn't so thick.

The lettuce, ketchup, and mustard were all tinted frostings. To get the ketchup the right color, I added I tiny amount of violet to the red.

The hotdog buns are made out of Circus Peanuts that I cut a wedge out of to place the "dog" in. The hotdog was a soft Werther's Carmel that I shaped with my fingers after cutting it in-half.






The cupcakes were a huge hit! People couldn't believe that it was all edible & that I had made it all!



Good enough to eat.

2 comments:

  1. LOVE THE HAMBURGERS!! Those are awesome. You need to open a bakery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cupcakes and cakes are great!! You do a fantastic job and have every right to be super proud of yourself and your finished project!! Keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete